Monday, December 17, 2012

Heavy Heart

On Friday morning I got to spend a little extra time with Sienna because I knew I was going to be working late.  When Grandma O arrived at 9AM we both were excited to see her and I was hurrying around the house to make sure I had everything before I had to leave (like usual).  When I was giving Sienna a hug and talking to my mom I noticed in the background that on the TV behind my mom there was a news alert that there had been a shooting at an elementary school.  My heart immediately hurt.  I grabbed Sienna so much closer and didn't let go.  My mom and I were so upset, her a teacher herself and me a wife of a teacher, know that this hits a little closer to home.  At this point they had just reported that 3 people had been sent to the hospital and I hadn't heard that anyone had died so I was hoping that 3 injured would be it.  I said my extra extra EXTRA goodbyes to my little girl and mom.  When I arrived at work I still didn't have time to listen or read about the news other than some coworkers discussing that there had been fatalities.  WHY? Why innocent people and little children!

I went along with my busy day, which thankfully was very busy and away from a computer so I was not able to see all the reports coming in.  On my way home I couldn't get there fast enough...I wanted to see my baby girl and husband safe and sound.  And they were. :)

My heart breaks for all those families that lost loved ones and for the survivors that have the trauma of losing friends, teachers, and their innocence.  I have been thinking about this all weekend and I get teary every time I think about it.  I held Sienna extra close the last couple of days and let her sleep with me and on my lap instead of putting her in her crib.  I didn't want to let her out of my sight. 
Love on your children always but LOVE on them even more during this time, especially around the holidays.  I hope we can figure out a way to stop these shootings...it is getting out of hand.  I pray that this doesn't happen ever again.  There are really no words to express the sorrow I feel for the victims.  As a new mom I feel my world would end if I lost my little girl.  I am so blessed to have her as my daughter. 

Here is a quote from President Obama during the memorial "God has called them all home. For those of us who remain, let us find the strength to carry on and make our country worthy of their memory."  I just keep telling myself we now have 26 more angels in heaven.

Here is my perfect little angel...the best gift when I got home. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment